Concern over student engagement has become central to conversations regarding quality in higher education, but what does “student engagement” mean? And once we know, how do we achieve it? Drawing from an extensive career of research and practice, Barkley offers instructors a dynamic model for understanding student engagement as well as practical strategies and techniques for promoting it in the face-to-face and online classroom.
At the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
- Describe a 5-component theoretical model of engaged learning that can guide them in thinking about student engagement.
- Explain key elements of the theory and research underlying:
- Active learning
- Classroom community
- Designing tasks for optimal challenge
- Teaching for holistic learning
- Access a “Knowledge Repository” correlated to the model that includes practical ideas and strategies for promoting engagement in the classroom.