Thursday, December 4, 2014 1:00pm (EST)
A guide to help department chairs understand the key issues and best practices they need to know to avoid legal problems and manage risk in acceptable ways. This seminar will address academic freedom, legal risks in promotion and tenure decisions, different kinds of discrimination claims and how to avoid them, and ways to deal with performance and behavior problems.
At the end of this workshop, participants will be able to:
• Determine when a faculty member’s and/or student’s speech or conduct are protected by academic freedom and when they are not
• Identify how to minimize legal liability in promotion and tenure
• Deal with issues related to faculty with disabilities
• Evaluate how to handle student and faculty complaints to minimize legal liability
• Outline the department chair’s role in responding to unprofessional conduct by faculty